So, yes, the week at
NWBCC was very helpful, and a turning point, in many ways, but it
turns out there was a larger problem that has been underlying our
on-going issues for a very long time. Someone, back in mid August,
suggested that I read the book “The ADHD Effect on Marriage”
because they were suspicious that Lon might have ADHD- I can not
remember who it was, if you know you did that, please contact me, I
want to THANK you!!! That book has changed our lives. I didn't
start reading it right away, but did a bit of on-line research at
first, and just before I left for Walla Walla, to help Annie with the
wedding, I gently suggested to Lon that he might want to consider the
possibility that he may have ADHD (when I did the online 'quiz' he
seemed to have 9 out of 10 of the symptoms)– and that the
likelihood that he did, might be affecting our relationship. The
main reason that he was able to take that in so easily and be open to
the idea, is that I had realized that back in February we had gone to
his sleep doctor and asked if there was a less expensive way to treat
his sleep issues (he has Idiopathic Hypersomnia – basically, he
falls asleep very easily, but they don't know why – it's not
Narcolepsy or sleep apnea, he just falls asleep easy – this was
diagnosed during that same crazy week, in April of 2011, when he got
the job in Nashville, and when the tornado hit us!). The med they
had him on was over $500/month! (our insurance would not cover it,
because it was deemed 'not medically necessary'!) They suggested that
ADHD meds would also help with his sleep issues, and would be less
expensive. So he was actually ON ADHD meds for just over three
months, from March through mid June. Looking back, we realized that
things were better between us, during that time – we had thought
that it was because we were reading the pre-reading assignments for
our visit to NWBCC, which I'm sure DID have an effect on things
(another important book – which had sat on our bookshelves for over
7 years before we actually read it – stupid! - is “Love and
Respect” - HIGHLY recommended!!) but when things turned south again
in a rather major way in mid June, I went into a SERIOUS tail spin,
as it was like all the progress we had made in May was gone down the
drain. At that point someone I was talking to suggested doing the
on-line quizzes, and reading that book (The ADHD Effect on Marriage).
It was VERY revealing!! I floated the idea to Lon, and he was
receptive, but of course, with the wedding, and school starting, and
everything else going on, it took us a while to move forward toward
actually doing something about it. It wasn't until early November
that we went to the clinic and actually got the diagnosis – the Dr
asked a bunch of questions and pretty much confirmed that 'hands
down, without question' he has ADHD (quite likely has had it since he
was a child!). Unfortunately they were saying at that point that the
other Dr who would do the prescribing of meds would not have an
available appointment to see him till December 7. I did NOT want to
wait, but didn't see that there was a choice. So we were THRILLED
when they called, mid November, and asked him if he wanted to come in
for a cancellation that had come available. He got on the meds, and,
just as the book said, “It made a WORLD of difference” - It's
like I have the guy back that I married all those years ago!! Our
lives are so much less stressful. The primary 'symptom' that Lon
exhibited was his stress level. Because with ADHD it can be the case
that there is little or no 'hierarchy' of 'importance' for items
demanding a persons attention. A minor inconvenience comes in at the
same alert level as a lion ready to pounce, so responses can be very
unpredictable, and often quite disproportionate to the level of a
typical person's response. Another major effect, for Lon, is that he
can be rather forgetful, or simply not remember hearing me (or the
kids) tell or ask him things. As you can imagine, this has impacted
our relationship in a big way.
Knowing that this is all caused by ADHD, not Lon's negligence, has made it much easier to 'let it go' when 'stuff happens' and also, knowing that there is medication, that can temper the 'issues' (which it DOES!) is also a HUGE help, from my perspective.
I was not planning to do a lot of sharing about this, here, as I felt it was Lon's 'news' and if he didn't want it 'out there' I wouldn't put it up. But he brought it up, the other night, and said he felt we should include something about this, here, so that it might help to save others from all of the years and years of stress that we endured, with the ADHD undiagnosed. If you are not sure, ask. Call and talk to me, or get the book, or talk to your doctor. This is one of those things where people tend to try to say 'I can muscle through, I don't need meds' (Lon did head down that road a bit, too, but fortunately didn't spend too long there! And honestly, would a diabetic try to 'muscle through' without insulin? There are actual chemical imbalances, and structural differences in the brain of a person with ADHD, and the medicine helps to temper those differences and make your life (and the lives of those who live with you) better – why would you not want to take it!?
The more we think
about it, the more we realize that our marriage is nothing short of a
miracle from God. With incredibly high divorce statistics for:
- couples with ADHD
onboard (particularly undiagnosed ADHD) (most marriages don't make it
past 10 years with undiagnosed ADHD on board!)
- couples with
trauma affected kids (we have TWO)
- couples where one
spouse suffers from depression (which, it turns out, not only was I
likely to have issues with that, due to the death of my mother –
over 90% of new moms who don't have their mother at their side suffer
postpartum depression – I was also at high risk because of Lon's
undiagnosed ADHD!)
- couples who
experience a major financial set-back (Lon has endured several
lay-offs – which, by the way, were also probably tied to his
undiagnosed ADHD, and/or his sleep issues)
- couples who
experience major loss, due to natural disaster or house fire
We feel that God has
sustained us through some pretty rough years. We are both ready to
settle in and enjoy the 'happily ever after' part. But we also want
to share, the things we have found along the way, so as to help those
who come behind us to potentially find solutions, if they are
struggling. God has blessed us richly!!
No comments:
Post a Comment